On the 19th, I flew across the country for a job interview. While on the plane, I couldn’t sleep, so I wrote some. This is one of the things I came up with…
For the last several years I have worked as a news photographer, more specifically, as a news videographer. I have seen everything from tragedy to the triumph of perseverance. My last day reporting to work was August 18th. I do not miss it. The reasons for this are many and I have decided to share some of them with you.
1. It is just as hard the last time as it was the first when you knock on the door of a family that’s suffered a tragedy.
2. When talking to those families, you see some of the best examples of triumph over adveristy.
3. Families of the fallen need our support, not our questions.
4. If offered food at A Taste of India in Manayunk, PA, accept. They won’t let you leave until you do and it will be delicious.
5. The best/most expensive attire will not keep you from freezing your assets off.
6. Life continues even if there is no fresh weather video.
7. Newscast producers do not believe #6.
8. Sometimes you impress yourself with how good a story you can put together in half an hour.
9. Always obey the guys on the fireline.
10. If you get a chance to use a Wescam/Flir, DO IT!
11. You make friends for life in this business.
12. Non linear is faster than tape-to-tape, despite what luddites might say.
13. It’s better to be friends with the competition than enemies. You never know when you will need to borrow video from them.
14. If you missed some key piece of video today, don’t sweat it. The clock starts over tomorrow and there will be other chances.
15. Have a backup plan.
16. Don’t go into New Jersey if you can avoid it.
17. News happens in all 50 states. Work in a few different places.
18. If you do your even just passably, you will never get fired.
19. Some people thrive on making your job harder.
20. Time might wait for no man, but we will waste hours standing at a crime scene waiting for one 15 second sound bite.
21. Fill the gas tank up when you are on your way back.
22. I’m serious about #21.
23. Sharing vehicles sucks because too few people observe #21.
24. You will see some of the most amazing video ever from your coworkers.
25. To succeed at this job, you have to decide what parts of it you like and savor the moments you get to partake in them. You will spend a lot of time running around doing things you hate, so those little moments will keep you going.